This Monday we want to introduce you to Jen from Arthur’s Plaid Pants!! Jen is one of our makers that we’ve borrowed, stolen, secretly convinced to join us from Bloomington Handmade Market. When we juried her into BHM a couple of years back, I just HAD to have her work in the shoppe, and there’s been no looking back since! Jen is a great asset and maker to the store, and we’re so excited to give you a little background into the pop-culture whiz that hails from Michigan and blesses us Hoosiers with her talent in the form of pinback buttons and prints!
- Who are you? What is your business? Where are you from?
Arthur’s Plaid Pants
Originally from a suburb of Detroit, MI, lived in Chicago for 8 years and now planted roots in Grand Rapids, MI
- How did you get to be where you are with your handmade business? Meaning, what’s your story, how did you get HERE?
I started off doing illustrations for my own wedding invitations which then morphed into friends and family wanting custom illustrations. I then started making products of my hand drawn illustrations and started selling them on Etsy. My business just kind of “took off” after that
- What is the most favorite handmade item that you own? Not something that you’ve made personally, but something you own that someone else has made.
This is SO tough! I have a large group of tight knit craft pals and we all trade/make things for each other. The first thing that comes to mind is a package my friend Erin sent me which contained a ton of great gifts including 2 cross stitched hoops she made for me “Serenity Now” and “Profesh”
- What is your ‘pie in the sky’ dream with your business/art? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I’d like to keep expanding my business, sell to more brick +mortar shops all over the world and keep creating products.
- Where do you draw your artistic inspiration from?
Mostly from pop culture, cult classic movies and tv shows. I also come from a family of musicians so I have a deep love of music. I’ve recently started created enamel pins of some of my favorite musicians.
- Share 5 links that everyone who Loves handmade should know about.
Some of my fave makers:
Perennial Soaps: http://www.perennialsoaps.com/
Marcy Davy – All Things Grow: http://www.marcydavy.com/
Type Shy: https://www.typeshy.com/
Jodi Lynn Doodles: https://www.etsy.com/shop/JodiLynnDoodles
Jason Gibner: https://www.etsy.com/shop/Gibnerd
- Share something fun, interesting and/or different about yourselves that your average customer might not know about you.